SOLAS is planning to appoint two new members this year. We are particularly seeking people with expertise in i) physics of marine clouds, ii) biogenic climatically active gases, and iii) polar oceans and/or sea ice biogeochemistry, but we also welcome nominations in any SOLAS-relevant discipline (see the SOLAS 2015-2025 Science Plan and Organisation)
SSC tasks include:
- Overall scientific responsibility for the SOLAS project
- Developing and promoting the SOLAS scientific agenda
- Communicating with the SOLAS International Project Office
- Organization of scientific program for the SOLAS Open Science Conferences
- Organizing topical workshops and liaising with working groups
- Representing SOLAS at meetings and conferences
The SSC is supported by the SOLAS International Project Office (IPO) in its tasks and is composed of mid-career and senior scientists from a broad spectrum of disciplines and nationalities. See the current SSC members here.
Members are appointed for a 3-year term, renewable once, and meet in person at least once per year.
The deadline for applications is 27th March 2020, 12:00 noon, CET.
Applicants will be informed of the outcome late in 2020.
Minimum qualifications and experience required
- Extensive international and/or national experience in air-sea interaction research;
- Established reputation in the international research arena;
- Currently active in the SOLAS-relevant field of research;
- Sufficient time to commit to fulfil SSC responsibilities.
How to apply
- Self-nominations and nominations by a third party are accepted. If you are nominating someone else, please ensure you have obtained his/her agreement prior to submission of the nomination.
- Nominations should include the following information:
- First name, family name of the candidate:
- Current country of residence:
- Date of birth:
- Contact information:
- Year of PhD:
Support for nomination
- Area of expertise (max. 20 words):
- Brief case for the nomination, along with a vision statement indicating areas of specific interest and engagement in SOLAS (max. 500 words):
- Submitted by (self, or name of nominee if not self):
- In addition, nominations should include a short CV (max. 3 pages).
Applications/Nominations should be submitted by email as a single document (.doc or .pdf) to Jessica Gier (firstname.lastname@example.org), SOLAS IPO.