Theme 2 team
Dominant processes controlling air-sea fluxes of mass and energy in the open ocean.
Ensure that SOLAS Theme 2 is represented within programmes such as Ocean Obs. (https://airseaobs.org/publications), which makes important and Theme 2-relevant contributions via Community White Papers such as Centurioni et al. (2019) and Cronin et al. (2019). Other relevant programmes include Integrated Carbon Observation System (ICOS), Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS), World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and Observing Air-Sea Interactions Strategy (OASIS).
SOLAS-endorsed national and international research programs investigating the air-sea interface and fluxes include:
Biogeochemical processes and Air-sea exchange in the Sea-Surface microlayer (BASS: https://uol.de/en/bass)
Breathing Oceans: understanding the organic skin that modulates the exchange of greenhouse gases between the atmosphere and the ocean (BOOGIE: https://carbonwaterdynamics.wordpress.com/projects/boogie/)
For other Theme 2-relevant activities, please see this online (and editable) document (INSERT LINK).
- The United States SOLAS Science plan was released in 2021, and included multiple cross cutting themes related to air-sea fluxes (e.g. air-sea gas exchange, sea surface microlayer, and surfactants)
- Regular sessions at major international meetings (e.g., AGU, EGU)
- Activities at SOLAS Summer Schools introducing surface flux measurement methods
- International Gas Transfer at Water Surfaces symposium held every 5 years
- Last symposium held in Plymouth, UK in 2022 (https://www.pml.ac.uk/GTWS2020)
- Next symposium planned for Uppsalla, Sweden in 2027
- Air-Sea Interaction session at the forthcoming 23rd Conference on Air-Sea Interaction - 2023 AMS Annual Meeting, January 2023
- The 4th workshop on waves and coupled processes (Uppsala, Sweden), February 2023 (https://www.geo.uu.se/kalendarium/event/?eventId=74074).
- Eddy-covariance CO2 flux measurement best practice workshop planned for late March 2023